Thursday 12 September 2013

Mango Mania




Mango season has come and gone and I'm pretty sure everyone on the island had their fair share. There's an understanding during mango season that reverting to monkey-like behavior whilst eating is actually OK and often encouraged. The great thing about mango season is that whether or not you have a tree in your yard, you will should never have to pay for mangoes. People are usually overwhelmed by the amount of fruit their trees bear and are more than happy to pawn some off on the next innocent [lucky] victim. There was one week in particular where I had inherited about 15 mangoes that I had to get rid of [eat] so I tried to figure how to use them. 


My first attempt at mango surplus reduction was:


Thai Coconut Chicken Stir Fry

[inspired by Jessica at How Sweet It Is].



The original recipe called for pineapple but I figured what the hell, I'm gonna use mango because...because i have no choice...I need to get rid of these things. 
My mom came over and took the position of sous chef. We chopped up cilantro, ginger & banana peppers. 



Meanwhile the chicken marinated in cilantro, garlic, lime, chili pepper & ginger. NOM. 
The recipe called for boiling the rice in coconut milk rather than water which I was all about. Anything to add flavor, I'm good with. 

The final masterpiece was delicious, full of flavor and guilt-free! 
Also got rid of a couple mangoes...perfecto!

-----------------


Mango Surplus Reduction #2


I recently stole borrowed an ice cream/sorbet maker from my Dad which had been sitting in a closet (far away from the kitchen) for quite some time...it was fair game really. Perfect for getting rid of a handful of mangoes at once! Score. I made this amazing Mango Sorbet that was super duper easy, full of sugar and delish. Next time I probably will reduce the amount of sugar because the mangoes are sweet enough as it is! 

Mango Sorbet
[recipe from CuisinArt]

4 large Mangoes
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup corn syrup (I melted sugar in hot water)
7 tablespoons of fresh lime juice

It was an all around hit. 

-------------

Also, this. Mango AND avocado in one dish?! Heaven. 




Anyway, mango season has been over for quite some time unfortunately, but I'm still scouring the supermarkets for the now elusive mango. If you have one of those miraculous, twice bearing trees, puhlease share ;)

-Sheens

No comments:

Post a Comment