Sunday 6 October 2013

Ya Bacon Me Crazy!

You know when you see something and there's an immediate need for that thing to be in your life? Yeah, that's what happened here. I hear bacon, booze, banana AND peanut butter icing and I think...NOW! I mean, the greatest invention known to man + cupcakes...you just can't go wrong...unless you're a vegetarian that actually doesn't eat bacon [I swear, vegetarian bacon eaters exist] then you'll probably want to ignore the meat part...

Anyway, so I set out on the mission to conquer bacon + cupcakes...

But first, a snack


Ok, back on track. Baking...

The calm before the storm- this one got messy- mainly because I was rushing, per usual.


Love the color of melted butter! 


I'm really particular about my bananas- realistically, they've got a 2 day shelf-life in my book. Once there's more than a few [i mean that literally] brown specs, they're immediately smoothie or baking material, not a snack. I freeze ones that get past the point of no return because they're a perfect excuse for baking [not like I need one]! :D


Batter mixing leads to batter licking...


So wish the bowl was a different color so this awesome peanut butter color would pop!


Just in case you didn't already pick up on it- I LOVE bacon. I love the smell of bacon cooking. Nothing beats it. But do I want the aftermath of bacon cooking in my kitchen and on my stove? Not so much- so, I bake my bacon! I promise it turns out just as delicious and cleanup is minimal. 


My mama just bought me a new icing decorative set and I put it to use for these cupcakes! I think each one of them is a different design! Keepin things fresh ;)


Here's the recipe...Adapted from Jessica at How Sweet It Is.


YIELD: MAKES 12-15 CUPCAKES
  
TOTAL TIME: 1 1/2 HOURS

ingredients:

brown sugar banana cupcakes

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch of nutmeg
1 large egg
3/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

frosting

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
4 cups of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons of milk, if needed
8 slices cooked bacon, cut in half or thirds

bourbon drizzle (i replaced the bourbon with Kahlua)

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup bourbon liqueur
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

directions:

brown sugar banana cupcakes

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.

Combine the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and set aside. In a bowl, whisk the egg and add brown sugar, mixing until smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract. Add sour cream and melted butter and mix until a smooth batter forms. Stir in the dry ingredients, then add mashed bananas and mix until the batter comes together. The batter will be thick. Using an ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measure, scoop batter into the liners. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting
frosting

Add the butter and peanut butter to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until creamy. Gradually add in the powdered sugar and mix until a frosting forms, increasing the speed from low to high. Add in the vanilla extract and beat the frosting for 2 to 3 minutes on medium-high speed. If the frosting is too thick, add in milk 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat for another 1 to 2 minutes after each addition. When ready to frost, scoop the frosting onto a spatula or into a pastry bag and frost the cooled cupcakes. Stick the bacon pieces on top of the frosting.

bourbon drizzle

Add the ingredients to a small saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves and cook for 1 to 2 minutes once boiling. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the pan and let the syrup sit and cool to room temperature, where it will thicken. It won't be super thick, but just slightly syrupy.



I won't tell you a lie...these cupcakes were thebomb.com. 
I hope you indulge in this amazingness as soon as humanly possible ;)

-Sheens



No comments:

Post a Comment